Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Coil – Love's Secret Domain 2XCD reissue











Listening to Coil for the first time at the age of 15 (it must have been Musick To Play In The Dark 2 or Scatology or one of the Unnatural History compilations) really was a life-changing experience, even without knowing anything about their musical backgrounds or their personal identities, which I would start discovering a bit later. And I still remember the day I read about John Balance's death on a DC++ hub/chat; it was one of the few artist deaths that really shook me. And in 2002 they performed live at my hometown, I really can't describe Balance with his hoodie, the xylophones, man.

So I actually also heard Love's Secret Domain very little after I had heard the three aforementioned LPs but boy. Until then I knew next to nothing about more "conventional" electronic music and this was one experience that was confounding, to hear sth that sounded slightly mainstream - for my then black metal and hardcore punk and kinda harsh noise standards - but also so sinister, and far out and hypnotic and sensual and whatever. First I was shocked by "The Snow" and by "Dark River" and I thought, "bro how much has Ulver listened to this shit," and then "Lorca Not Orca" with that reprise of "Teenage Hospital" in the background (though I must say that the version on The Ape Of Naples is by far my favorite) and then fuuuuck "Windowpane" and how many hours I've spent watching the video clip and even playing it non-stop at my university department's occupation we did years later.

So, this is the double cd reissue with some liner notes by Stephen Stapleton if I remember correctly (the cd is in my car actually so that I listen to "Lorca Not Orca" on repeat during nighttime driving, and the second cd is full of goodies: a latin guitar rendition of "Teenage Lightning" that is different to "Lorca Not Orca" that is utterly beautiful, a rhythmic version of "Dark River," the heartbreakingly beautiful cabaret-like "The Dark Age of Love," an instrumental of the title track. Must hear, a really respectful reissue to one of the best albums of all time. 2021 2 X CD on Infinite Fog Productions.

Download  

PS1: I reached the age of 37 to actually feel for the first time that I fell in love with a woman and actually made a move for her. I doubt she will ever read this. She is the most beautiful, confounding creature ever and she broken my bloodthirsty communist iron-clad heart to so many pieces it will never be glued again. Last Easter I spent a whole night awake with her, staring at her, caressing her, bringing tears to her eyes. After countless joints and drinks I said goodnight to her with an embrace and a kiss on her forehead. She drove home and I slept in my car for two hours until the morning came to drive to my hometown 500 km away for Easter holidays. When I got into my car, I played Love's Secret Domain and sent her a link to "Lorca Not Orca." She loved it. I loved her. I love her. But it was destined to die from the first moment. So I destroyed it. Now the memories of her will continue with the musics I sent her and that I loved and that I hoped we would listen to together.

PS2:

 

That was in your words the best Thursday of your life. Do you remember that the quintessential breakup song of all time was the song that brought us together? A day earlier you told me that I was that excerpt from Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human. And do you remember that I told you that I pictured you as the following lyrics from "Black?" 

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life 

I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky, but why 

Why, why can't it be, oh can't it be mine? 

Do you remember the road overlooking the whole city? Do you remember that blue dress you wore just for me? You looked like an angel, just the incarnation of your name. Do you remember the stockings you tore with your nails so I could penetrate you? Do you remember how much I wanted to be with you but was scared because I knew you would be a star in somebody else's sky, but it couldn't be mine? And that that desperation drew you to me? Yes, I eventually broke that promise I gave you that day, but I did it because you wanted me to act in contrast to my promise. And next year, on the anniversary of that Thursday I will go again up there, on that road. And how I wish there would be a miracle and you would come up there too to wipe the tears from my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment