Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Demons - Untitled loop tape



Years ago the blog Corrupted Delights (which seems not to be functioning, sadly) as well as Bleak Bliss had posted a untitled tape made by Demons (Nate Young/Wolf Eyes-Steve Kenney) which featured an endless loop repeating itself with various short durations. The sound of that loop was the most sinister and contaminated evil synth noise that someone could have ever vomited on this planet, and for a long time I used to play it to fall asleep. I played it when I was doing my army service sleeping a few hours between my guard duty, and I repeated it for many hours in the morning while I was writing my MA thesis, only to end up in the afternoon lying on the carpet feeling that my brain had become completely fried by studying and listening to this.

So, I decided to buy it for archive purposes as well as play it on my new ghettoblaster that I have in the kitchen, but I was slightly disappointed. Instead of that evil synth, there was a cool - on the one hand - but completely different loop - on the other. What I hear is a bass loop rising and falling, alternating with a weak pulsing throb. Yes, it's cool, sounds a little bit like sounds from Dawn of the Dead or Cannibal Holocaust in devouring scenes but it's not the demonic puke emitted from the bowels of Marvel's Blackheart (do you remember the epic arcade game Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter?). Contacting the seller, he said that he thinks that there must probably be different versions, which makes sense that I tested it on different tape decks to see if there was a problem with the one. I'm thinking of trying to buy another copy so that I might be lucky, but I guess I won't do so.

Therefore, I decided to post both versions, mine and the one posted by Corrupted Delights, for you to compare and tell me what you think has happened here.

2006 tape on AA Records.

My bass loop version

The Corrupted Delights synth horror version

No comments:

Post a Comment